Tuesday, August 25, 2009

So Much Homework!

Remember a couple of weeks, or maybe days, ago when I was SO ready for school to start? I couldn't wait to get these boys into a routine again. Well, how in the world do you suppose I overlooked HOMEWORK!? I was thinking life was going to be so easy - get up, go to work/school, make dinner while they are at practice, come home and talk about what a great day we all had...well...it's day THREE of school and already I know more about Geometry and Biology than I ever cared to know! I mean seriously, didn't I already do this? Like 20 (some) years ago?
Tyler is the kind of kid that needs constant help with his homework. Somewhere in his past he missed the lesson on how to look things up in a textbook. Knowing him, he was probably at the drinking fountain while they were teaching this valuable lesson. But seriously. Helping Tyler with homework is a full time job. ...and boy am I learning a lot!
I do have to say that I'm proud of him for remembering to bring home his homework...and for getting it done without me having to ask him and remind him time and time again. He is a self starter...he just needs me to walk with him through the process.
Ryan on the other hand has not had a lick of homework yet! Well, other than reading which he is required to do 20 minutes a day. Well, on a list of things to do, Ryan would choose reading behind cleaning his room and probably even cleaning the toilets. I do not understand his thinking. I read every single day of my life! I can't go to bed at night without reading something. I can only hope that one day he will lose him self in a book and learn that reading can take you places that you've never imagined possible.
In the realm of things I really can't complain about Tyler having too much homework - or having to help him with it. I should be counting my blessings that he is such a good student and that he is at home safe and sound and asking me for help. It could be worse. And with Ryan - there are a lot of people I know that don't enjoy reading and they have all turned out just fine. I'm pretty sure he's going to be fine too.
Last night I went to Open House at the Middle School to meet Ryan's teachers. One of his teachers was telling us that her son was diagnosed with a learning disability. She said that he has since graduated from college and now is working his dream job. She said that sometimes schools and society expect all kids to jump on the Interstate of learning, but that for her son (and both of mine) sometimes the scenic route works better for them. In the end they will all get to their destination, sometimes they just need to go their own way. I love that analogy!
In six years my boys will be finished with high school. Six years! That's not very far away. So during these next six years, I'm going to help them with their homework every chance I get, and I'm going to read with them, and encourage them to learn as much as they can. I will never get a chance to do this again, so I need to enjoy every single moment (even if I don't find Biology particularly enjoyable.)
So now they are in bed and I need to go finish the laundry.
Tomorrow we will do this all again.
Good night.

1 comment:

Tom, Kim, Kinley & Kendall said...

Oh, Kelly
I can't believe they are getting so big! You'll have to let me know if y'all ever come this way for a game or just for "fun". Miss you lots!