Another Doctor Visit…
For pretty much the duration of Tyler’s 15 years he has suffered from on-again off-again ear infections. When he was 10 months old, he had tubes put in his ears. It seemed to help, but definitely didn’t cure the problem. Recently, probably within the last 3 or 4 years, he’s been suffering with a lot of sinus/ear problems. Our local doctor finally diagnosed him as chronic and sent us to see an ENT to discuss getting tubes put in his ears again and having his tonsils and adenoid taken out. Luckily they doctor he wants Tyler to see comes to Burlington. BUT…if we want to time this right with wrestling we will need to go to Denver for a consultation before he can do the surgery here on December 14th.
So…Tuesday, Tyler and I headed to Denver. We met with the doctor who pretty much told us that, at 15, Tyler is too old to get common ear-infections. He thinks something else is causing the infections – but he isn’t sure what. He has ordered at CT scan on Tyler’s sinuses and a full allergy test. The allergy test can be done here at our hospital, but we are going to have to make another trip to Denver for the CT scan.
I’m not exactly sure what he is looking for, but it sure would be nice if it was something that could be taken care of with medication rather than having to go through surgery.
Finger Update…
Tyler’s finger is still very swollen and very bruised. I have a feeling it will take awhile for it to heal. He still has it bandaged and has very limited mobility.
This is when being a single parent sucks:
I love both of my boys as equally the same as I can. I would never want to have to choose one over the other. But unfortunately, as a single parent, I’m starting to have to make choices like that more and more frequently it seems. I don’t mean that I am favoring one more than the other, I’m just getting pulled in two totally different directions and it’s really hard on me!
Take for instance Tuesday. Tyler needed to go to the doctor in Denver at 3:30 and Ryan had a basketball game in Burlington at 4:00. There is NO possible way for me to be with both of them at those times. I either need to go with Tyler or stay and watch Ryan. Well, this time, the choice wasn’t that difficult. I took Tyler to the Doctor.
Spending a whole day with Tyler – just the two of us – hasn’t happened for a long time. I enjoyed it. But it was hard missing Ryan’s game.
I can see that this is going to be an issue more and more the older they get. For example, on December 5th, Ryan has his “A” team basketball tournament in Yuma and Tyler has his first wrestling tournament in Goodland. WHAT TO DO??? How do I decide? What if I go watch one and the other one gets hurt? It makes me feel so sad that one way or another, I can’t be with both of them. I hope I’ve taught them to be prepared and responsible to do these things on their own. I hope I’ve raised them to be secure enough to know that they will be fine whether I’m in the stands or not. And I hope they know that just because I’m not there physically – I’m constantly thinking about them. Thankfully, I have a wonderful support system in my family. My mom and dad, and my brother and sister-in-law and all of their kids are VERY supportive of my boys. I'm sure they will cover for me when I can't be in two places at once.
As we were driving home from Denver on Tuesday (I was driving – Tyler was asleep) I had a ton of different thought going through my mind. I was thinking about how much I love the feeling of being needed by my boys. I love that they are becoming more and more independent, but there are times that they really do need me.
It's just hard. Especially when there is SO MUCH going on. I don't want to miss a moment.

No comments:
Post a Comment